Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Why I believe in the Supernatural #10

by Paul I. Allen

My true story of why I can never doubt the reality of the spirit world:

When I was nine years old, I lived with my mom, dad, and three younger siblings in an old house in Marysville, Indiana. One Sunday night on the way home from church, we talked about God and angels. When we arrived at the house, Dad parked the station-wagon in the driveway, and we all stood on one side looking up at the stars. There was more talk of angels, and I just happened to look behind me at the car.

Inside the car was lit. There was an old man sitting in the driver’s seat, hands on the wheel, eyes looking ahead. He had a full head of untamed white hair and wore glasses. I stared for a moment before turning to my dad, having difficulty breathing and unable to speak. When I could finally talk, I stuttered something about seeing an old man and pointed back to the now-dark car. My parents shushed me, and Dad and I went into a small bathroom in the house to talk privately while Mom rushed the other kids upstairs to bed.

I explained to Dad what I had seen, expecting him to be surprised, but he wasn’t even fazed. He explained that Mom had seen the old man in our house, going through their dresser drawers. Apparently, an old man had died in the house before we moved in. Dad and I talked about it, and he offered the comfort that God was always in charge and would protect us. I believe that with all my heart, but it was still difficult to continue living in that house.

Looking back, I don’t really know what I saw. I mean, the event is still clear in my mind. I saw an old man, but I don’t know who he was. Was it the old man’s spirit? Was it a demon posing as the old fellow to inspire fear? I won’t know for sure until heaven. One thing I do know: I have never doubted the reality of the spiritual realm. There is a world we cannot see. I take a great deal of comfort in the fact that the God who loves us knows about – created – and rules over all of our unknowns.

For her birthday this year, Erin asked readers to send her their personal tales of why they believe in a supernatural world. A couple times a week, some of those submissions will appear here as a series. All stories appear with the author’s permission. We encourage you to comment on the stories and to continue sharing your own! Stories can be posted on Erin’s Facebook Fan Page or as comments on her Blog. Join the discussion!

No comments: